Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blessings in a Storm

I'm sitting here blogging now from a home in Baton Rouge, LA that was opened up to me while I was on the road evacuating from Ike. My friends, C & M, and their 2 girls, E & M, evacuated to Baton Rouge to stay with C's parents early Thursday morning (around 1 am). Thursday, after I had packed up the car, gone to the office and packed up the office with everyone, I got in the car to drive to Mesquite, to stay with some church friends. I got a call just as I pulled out of the office driveway that they could take me in in LA. So, I changed course and headed east down I-10. Traffic wasn't bad and I made it in about 4.5 hours. I have been so blessed to have a home opened up to me - a total stranger. I have been blessed to have a home to go home to. Two people have gone by the house to check on it and the power situation. Both reported it all looked ok. Some of my plywood came down, which I thought it would since I didn't really know what I was doing when I put it up, but the fence is still up and there doesn't appear to be any damage. Supposedly we got power back last night, but I'm not totally sure if it'll be up when I get back tomorrow. For now, though, I have a warm bed, good food and a roof over my head. I am blessed!