Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ike

You know that song "I want to be like Mike"? I've got a new version - "I don't want to meet Ike". I hate the stress and worry that comes with hurricanes. My stomach has been in knots the last 3 days trying to figure out what's going on. I have a load of stuff packed by the back door just waiting for the evacuation order. All I have left is to pack some clothes and put up the ply wood. I've never done that by myself, so hopefully my neighbors will be nice and avaiable if I need help. I'm also hoping I'm worrying about nothing. But, as the hours tick by, more and more reports of evacuations further down the coast trickle in, each one causing a new small wave of panic. We just got a report that our local schools are closing Friday "just as a precaution". I'm fairly confident it won't hit directly here, but I don't know what will happen since we're probably going to be on the "dirty" side of the system. And no matter what my confidence level is, my stomach won't stop churning. I think I should move to higher ground and jsut be sedated through the weekend!

2 comments:

~cjoy said...

You should totally take a personal day, board things up as best you can and leave a day early--to beat the traffic and relieve the stress...you could go tell yourself it's a mini-vacation and see a movie, etc. :)

Sorry that Ike is such a meanie.

Mary Frances said...

How are you? Did you stay or leave?