Monday, September 8, 2008

Hurricanes

So, it's September, which in states on the Gulf of Mexico, means hurricane season. The season actually runs from June to November, but nothing major seems to happen until September. We dodged Dolly (which hit to the south of us) and Eduard (which weakened to a tropical storm) and Gustav (which hit to the east of us). Now, it looks like, at least for the next day or so, we're in the direct path of Ike. I can hope and pray that it moves somewhere else, but I think Houston's luck might run out soon. So, even though T makes fun of me for buying more water, canned goods and camping gear, I've gathered supplies all into one spot. Last night, I mentally packed the car with the things I know I have to take like my work computer, the water I've started to horde (because there won't be any in the stores when I get back) and the "important papers" box.

Tonight, I'll start packing the smaller things that mean so much but I don't need in every day life. By Thursday, we should have a good idea of where it'll actually hit and I'll be able to load the car if needed and plan a route (I actually did this when we thought Gustav might hit here). I do not relish the thought of being stuck in the traffic that will arise when the whole world thinks it has to get out - 13 hours to make a 3 hour trip is not my idea of fun. Which reminds me - if you or someone you know lives on the north side of a city near the water and are more than 30 miles inland, please stay home long enough to let those of us near the coast get out of the way. The north side might get wind and rain, but those of us near the coast will get the 20 feet of storm surge that can come with a catagory 4 or 5. From all of us on the south side, let me be the first to say thanks! Can someone please remind me why we live in the Gulf of Mexico near the water?

No comments: