Friday, September 26, 2008

Ike Photos

We've all seen images of crazy reporters battling the wind and rain during the storm and then the initial reports of the damage, but it isn't often you really see the long term effects of a hurricane. These are a few pictures collected over the last week or so showing some of the damage. I still can't believe this is in my backyard.

A house in Galveston during the storm


The entrance to the Kemah Boardwalk - only about 6 miles from my house and a very popular place to eat and play games


The Gulf side of the Boardwalk after the storm


Here comes Navy Beachmaster Unit 2 out of Virginia to bring in heavy equipment to help clean up!


A house in Kemah, near the Boardwalk, that has been condemned because of damage.


Very few boats stayed in the marina!




Even the fish had problems


The before and after of Crystal Beach (near Galveston)


A hole in the middle of I-45 near the Galveston Causeway.


The clean up effort continues.






3 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Wow, the pictures really do tell the story better than words ever could. It's hard to imagine that level of damage and destruction.

And, I know it's wrong, but I couldn't help laughing a little at the fish picture.

blue hose said...

That was the funniest picture I have seen in all the recovery shots. It's the only one without trees & flooding or downed power lines shouting at you. It was nice to laugh in the midst of all of this. See you next weekend!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I wondered about you all when I saw that the hurricane was headed your way. I'm really glad you're okay!!!! Thanks for coming by my blog, I had no idea you had one. I am now subscribed through bloglines so I can get a message when you update.
Have a wonderful week!!!!
dawn