Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Friends

I discovered again last night just how great God is. I have been blessed with some amazing heart friends - some of whom I've known for more than 15 years. They have always been there with things happen. Sadly, I live too far from my true heart friends. But, I am discovering more and more about being "on the frontier" as one friend puts it. Seems like every time T is gone on a set of orders, something happens. It isn't always something big, but something always seems to happen when he's gone. The first go round, when he was in PA, I got a new job, we got married and we moved into our house. By no means was either disasterous, but they were big things and I needed him to be around. When he was in CA, my car died and I had to go buy a new one - by myself. You'd think after buying a house pretty much by yourself a car would be no big deal. But, I had nice helpful people with the house and was on my own with the sales guy for the car. But, God provided amazing people who stepped in to help out when I felt lost. My church family has been amazing the all the times he's been gone. At various times, I've been invited out to eat, people have randomly felt the need to call and check on mem and people have been very supportive in just being my friend. I always marvel at how one step outside my comfort zone has so often led to a huge blessing.

Last night was another one. I had a flat tire (in the car I got less than a year ago). It wasn't late at night, but it was getting dark. I was alone (except for the really nice people who tried to stop and help me, but you can never tell about people you don't know). I happened to be on the phone with my boss about something when I discovered it. He said he was across town picking up his daughter but he'd be by as soon as he got her to help. He also recommended I call a client's after hour service to see if they could come tow it. Towing it until morning doesn't do me much good because I am flying solo right now and have no other way to drive. Even if I could drive T's car (it's a manual I'm not so good with), I don't have the keys! I called T to find out about the roadside benefits with our insurance.

Then, our office manager and her husband, who are right down the street from the offfice and me, call and say they are on their way. My boss called them. They came and her really, really, really nice husband got dirty and sweaty and eaten by mosquitoes to change my tire. She and I had a chance to visit for a few minutes with their 2 year old. I would have never thought to call them, but there they were in almost no time (well, it felt like an eternity, but it really didn't take that long). I am fairly independent, and I don't like inconveniencing people, so probably would never have thought to call them or anyone else other than the roadside people, but there they were. I didn't realize we were as good of friends as we are turning out to be. I'm not big on being the damsel, but it was such a huge blessing to know that someone came to my rescue. I'll never understand how I'm so blessed to have friends who appear at the oddest times and even more so to have such a big God in control.

1 comment:

~cjoy said...

We don't have to understand it. Our Lord just loves to bless us.

And I agree--my heart friends all live too far away, as well. HINT HINT...