Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thorn in My Flesh

There's a reference by Paul, I think in Corinthians, about a thorn in his flesh - he asks why he does the things he know he shouldn't or doesn't really want to do and not do the things he should do. I know that feeling - especially in the weight loss area. Last night is a perfect example - I did ok through lunch and the afternoon, but the thorn dug in deep around dinner. We have a local semi-pro baseball team, the Toros. They play not too far from our house and it's cheap (only $8 for a ticket). The most expensive item on the concession menus is a $4.50 cheeseburger (that's really not worth $4.50). I don't really like hotdogs and there's not much else there to really eat other than your typical little league concession stuff (candy, fries, sno cones, etc) plus beer - after all, it is a ballpark. So, before I left the office, I decided I'd eat leftovers at home before we went to the game. I got home and T had gone to Village Pizza & Seafood - mostly fried stuff with pizzas. He really likes the fried oyster & shrimp combo. I don't dislike it, but it wasn't what I was prepared for. He bought enough for 2 of us. It was sweet that he planned supper, but again, not what I was prepared for. What he left me was not enough for a real meal, so I ate a bowl of the leftover shrimp tortellini. If I had left it at that and just had my sno cone, it would have been ok. But, again, there's this thorn - I ended up with a hotdog at the park plus my sno cone. Then, thought, ok - that's enough.

All of a sudden, at 10 pm, I found myself at Dairy Queen. Now, I don't go to DQ very often (as in maybe twice a year), so as we were headed there, I decided I would get a grape slush - figured it was less leathal than a Blizzard and I loved them as a kid... by the time I got home, my small grape slush had morphed into an M&M Blizzard - it was a small, but still... the slush would have been more than enough - and I think more satisfying than the Blizzard, which didn't turn out to be that great after all. Of course, I ate the whole thing before I decided it wasn't really worth it... I'm almost afraid to look up the calorie content... had I gotten up early and gone to the gym for a few minutes of cardio, I might not feel so bad, but that definitely didn't happen... I keep thinking - T will be gone early next week and maybe I can focus a little more carefully on this. Here's to hoping I can ignore the thorn a little better in the coming weeks.

No comments: