Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The more things change ...

the more they stay the same. At least when it comes to T. I still don't understand his sleeping clock and have determined that it is no where near synchronized with mine! First, I should mention that I am the human alarm clock in our house. Regardless of where he is stationed (at least in the US), I set my alarm and make sure he's awake for things like Drill Weekend.


When he was in PA, I was an hour behind him, and on what I thought was the good side of the time difference given that I like to be asleep before he even thinks about going to bed. It wasn't too bad because he had to be at work really early since he was the boss. DWs were a little rough because if he wanted to be up at 5, I'd have to set the alarm for 4, which wasn't fun. But, once he was up, I went right back to sleep. When he was in CA, I thought I'm still on the good side because he'll call during the evenings right around bedtime. Then, I realized that 11 was too late for bedtime. But, it was only 9 out there, so I just go used to him waking me up most nights. But, when it came to DW, I got the benefit of getting up at a normal hour because it was 2 hours earlier in CA.

So, now he's in FL. Again, I think I'm on the good side of things - I try really hard to be flexible, but I'm almost at a breaking point on this one. He is working 2-10pm now. He can't take his phone into the building. As of right now, we don't get to talk until he gets off work because he's sleeping while I'm at work - and, while I can multi-task, I can't advise clients or draft things and carry on an intelligent conversation with him. He calls sometime after he gets off work at 10. It's only 9 here, so it shouldn't be a problem, huh? Except that he waits an hour or 2 before calling, so he's STILL calling at 11. So, no matter where he is in the world, I guess I should just adjust to him calling at 11. In fact, if he calls much earlier than that, he has to call my cell because we (still) don't have Caller ID and I try to screen calls through the answering machine when he's not home so I don't have to talk to strange people or have to tell them he's not around. No point in advertising "single white female lives alone here". We do have a pistol that I know how to use, but who wants to go through that? I guess for now, I'll just sleep early and wake up when he calls. A sleep deprived drugged up sounding phone call is better than no phone call at all... so it's true - the more things change...

No comments: